Old July 17th 08, 01:10 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clem

Default An open message to the group.

"Alan Erskine" wrote in
:

"Clem" wrote in message
. 97.136...
As far as eliminating part-posts, I'm sure you know the idea was to cut
a big file into smaller pieces making it easier for the server to
handle. All the NG readers I ever used, assemble the individual files
seamlessly. It doesn't get much easier than that.

The problem with breaking big files into smaller sections is that not
all of them come through. If it's under, say, 3mb, it shouldn't be a
problem for most people these days (I've had cable for over five years).
OE can sort files by size, in addition to sorting by subject, poster
etc; if people are on a dial-up modem, they can simply exclude files
that are too large (tools, message rules, "where the message size is a
certain size").

What a server accepts or is still in the process of putting up for
download is something I have no control over. After I posted the files
I checked and all were there. It took less than 20 seconds to upload
the file which is a fraction of my download rate, approximately 6meg.

Someone said it took forever. Boo! Hoo! get rid of the dialup. What
are posters required to do, offer a guarantee that all files download in
"X" amount of time?

I don't understand some peoples approach to a file sized at over 34,000
lines being good, but a movie file part at 8,000 lines is bad?

No, the nay-sayers are just upset because it's a file beyond their
ability to control or they don't understand it. I could double to 16K
per file slice making it more difficult to pass between servers, but
what good would that do?

The actual processing (transfers, timeouts and the like) between servers
are beyond a posters control. A simple picture file may not post to
other servers completely or at all. That's not the fault of a poster.

It would be nice if companies that maintain NG servers would decide once
and for all a uniform file size that any server could accept from posters
and also the transfer rates between servers.

This is a problem we have all faced even with simple posting and never
realized how much we were missing. One person says there is no problem
because according to him, he see's his 50 or so average posts a day come
through the system. On the other hand, I might recieve 90 or 100 a day.

There are spuratic problems with different systems not to mention that
NG providers are now filtering content and eliminating groups they
consider to be illegal.

I could upload it again as a test file and we can see if anything changes.