Old April 2nd 04, 05:10 AM
redc1c4

Default "Bravo Sierra" check (was "China's Army on Combat Alert")

Baron Huntchausen wrote:

"Tank Fixer" wrote in message
k.net...
In article m,
on Wed, 31 Mar 2004 19:45:11 GMT,
Admin attempted to say .....

Actually, a little of both. The F-16 is cheap, does just about anything
short of Cargo duty and is still in production. But, the F-15 is long

on
the tooth and needs replacing. While the F-16 is second to none in a

knife
fight, it lacks the standoff capability of the F-15. The F-15 has lost

it's
superiority in the standoff. And, like most fighters will be relegated

the Attack role sooner or later.

They are both from approximatly the same vintage...

The F-16 is just a fraction of the cost of a frontline fighter. It's even
cheaper than an A-10 if the A-10 were to be produced today. The F-16 is
still under development while the F-15 is not. They won't put development
money into something that already has the follow-on AC ready for
productions.

The fact remains, there is hardly anything in a gun to gun arena that can
compete with an F-16 dollar for dollar. Plus, the F-16 has been modified
for the ground attack role. It's small, light, carries a decent load and
after pickling it's load, it can out turn most frontline fighters. I saw
something I just didn't believe it was possible with anything short of a
Rocket. A Danish F-16 floated to just overhead in level flight. The Pilot
forced the nose to a 90 degree angle. The AC seemed to be completely
stopped. He poured the coals to it (full AB) and went straight up. Talk
about a better than a 1 to one power to weight ratio. I don't know of any
other AC that could do that short of having an Atlas Rocket attached to it's
butt. The Dane was showing off to the US F-15C models at Bitburg AB, GE.
The F-15 would have smacked the ground doing that manuever even though the
F-15 has a better than a 1 to 1 power to weight ration.

Even though the F-16 is from the same era, it's not your fathers Oldsmobile.
The F-15 is.

coupla things here for the RAM folxs:

1. it seems to me that coming to a more or less "complete stop" is
suicidal in ACM. it sure as hell would make the AAA solution easier.

2. are the F-16 claims valid, or just more of the usual DM schise?

3. A-10 vs. F-16 acquisition cost: does anyone really think the
current Falcon is cheaper than a Hog, assuming the production
lines were both open?

your thoughts, please. TIA!

redc1c4,
(PS to the Baron: it's "ratio" not "ration" %-)
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and sly, and bear
considerable watching."

Army Officer's Guide