Old April 22nd 04, 02:19 AM
Evan Brennan

"Jim Doyle" wrote in message ...
I guess that's borne of the amount of firearms used in crime (from
burglaries, robberies to muggings etc.) in the USA.

Gun Control's Twisted Outcome: Restricting firearms has helped make
England more crime-ridden than the U.S. By Joyce Lee Malcolm.

http://www.reason.com/0211/fe.jm.gun.shtml

I am not on the troll here, I'm genuinely interested.

You will not get all the answers by comparing numbers of deaths.

There is a legacy of social differences in the US and UK regarding
immigration patterns of foreigners and treatment of minorities, and
crime rates can be traced back to this. The British avoided some of
these problems when they abandoned their colonies and the people in
them -- which meant they obviously abandoned attendant social problems
along with it. The rainy island of Britain is not exactly ideal for
large plantations, with the sun not shining very often. Unlike the
deep south of the United States, large British-owned plantations were
more common in their colonies, where slaves and indentured servants
could be carefully hidden from polite society in London.

Britain is not quite the melting pot of cultures that is America, but
it might be in the future. And the associated troubles are sure to
follow.