Old July 20th 04, 05:10 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Night bombers interception in Western Europe in 1944
From: ost (Chris Mark)
Date: 7/20/2004 8:44 AM Pacific Standard Time
As far as I am aware the use of P-38s on heavy bomber escort
missions in 1945 was very limited, what sort of information do
you have on the mission.

They were certainly being used. An example: The 1st fighter group conducted
12
heavy bomber escort missions in April, 1945. That's down from 18 heavy
bomber
escort missions in April, 1944. But in that month the group conducted only
one
other operation--a strafing mission. However, in April, 1945, the 1st,
besides
the 12 bomber escort missions, conducted 29 photo escort missions, 14
dive-bombing missions, 10 armed reconnaissance missions, and two fighters
sweeps. Busy schedule.

Chris Mark

Was that in the MTO? I never saw any P-38's in the ETO 1944-45. Juist recon
P-38's.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at: