View Single Post
Old October 3rd 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kinsell
external usenet poster

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicagoyesterday?

On 10/02/2017 03:13 PM, mic pilot wrote:
It seems like this incident took place near teddy intersection at approx. 7000 msl? That’s just a really bad place flying if you’re not talking to ATC, with or without a transponder. Teddy is major point on the arrival and anyone that’s flown into ORD has heard of it.
The flight aware track is deceiving because the jet does a few turns over Janesville at 10000msl but that’s not where the conflict took place. It was SE of JVL at 7000msl when the jet had to climb to miss an aircraft.

As glider pilots we really need to know where the jet traffic is and not go there unless you're in contact with ATC. Look up all the major airports you fly near on Airnav.com, read about the runways, and especially the STAR arrivals, also frequencies, and phone numbers are helpful. You can download free copies of the STARS. Knowing what runways they are using based on winds the day of your flight can help.
Then on your flights, if the lift takes you near a busy intersection at the altitude used, call ATC. If you’re well below the traffic, maybe just listen? However, know that if you have a transponder and don’t call, you are causing a lot of chatter on a busy frequency. They will all be trying to figure out what you’re doing.

So I've seen the conflict described as taking place 43 nautical out at
6800 msl. That's not a wedding cake, that's a friggin pancake! Apart
from the traffic issues, you've got increased fuel burn down low, and
noise abatement issues. I'd sure like to hear who decided running
airliners that low was a good idea.

I live slightly farther away from a major international airport, and
both the arrivals and departures are a whole lot higher than that, even
accounting for a 5000 ft delta in airport elevations.

I agree with your recommendations, but getting a transponder installed
has got to be at the top of a list, and using it whenever in the air.
It's amazing how many people think they can guess when they need to turn
it on. Funny thing about accidents, you never see them coming.