Old February 23rd 04, 07:59 AM
Chris Rollings

We towed with a 150 hp Citabria quite a lot back in
the 70's - acceptable, but didn't perform as well as
a 150 hp Super Cub.

I would expect a 180 hp Decathlon to be similarly worse
than a 180 hp Super Cub. The constant speed prop would
help a bit, but might make noise a serious issue if
you are operation in an area where that matters.

At 16:24 22 February 2004, Snoop wrote:
Having also towed with the 150 hp Citabria, and having
flown the 180
hp Decatholon, I would think the Decathalon would make
a good towplane
for a small club. The only pitfalls I could see might
be the extra
maintenance of the constant speed prop. It would be
best as a one
pilot towplane. A large organization would tear it
up.

Otherwise the it's a simple, well constructed airframe,
easy to fly,
and when you can't soar you could go out and fly around
upside down.

Have fun!
(Deputy Dog) wrote in message news:...
Anyone out there have any experience with using a
Decathlon for a tug?

I have towed with Citabria 7GCBC and wonder how it
would compare since
it has symetrical (sp?) airfoil vs. the flat bottom
of the Citabria.

Got a buddy considering both.

-Deputy Dog