Old February 5th 04, 10:43 AM
Guy Byars

Default Winscore source code now available

Good news everyone...

Starting in 2004, Winscore, the US soaring contest scoring program, will be
an "open source" project. What this means is that the source code will be
freely available to anyone in the soaring community. I will continue to
provide a stable and supported version of the program. This will ensure that
National and Regional contest organizers will have a stable version to
download and use in their contests. I will continue to support contests
using that version.

This change has several advantages:

* By distributing the source code, other software developers who are
interested in contest scoring can add features to the program. Such features
could be migrated back into my supported version thereby improving the
program for everyone.

* With the source code available, Winscore becomes less of a black box and
the calculations and analysis algorithms become available for public review.

* Software developers in other countries can use this code as a starting
point to create a scoring program for contests scored according to their own
local rules.

* If at some point in the future, I become unable, unwilling or
uninteresting in continuing this project, other developers will be able to
pick up and continue it.

The source code can be downloaded directly from the Winscore homepage:

http://www.betsybyars.com/guy/winscore/sourcecode.html

Best Regards,

Guy Byars

Remove NEYTSPAM frome email address to reply.