Old July 19th 04, 10:07 PM
David Smith

I have never tried to spin my ASW20 in this way but I have done the =
exercise in a K13 at low level too. The results were a very fast stall =
and wingdrop, which is what I expected and is how I would I expect most =
gliders to behave. I what way does the ASW20 behave differently?? =
Bearing in mind that in a accidental spin flaps have to be moved to =
negative as well as the usual recovery, the glider will pick up speed =
that much faster any spin at 500ft is going to be irrecoverable.
Pulling up into a thermal, and slowing down as you turn attention must =
be paid to air speed as the load comes back onto the wings.
This is explained in the flight manual at .5G and 0 flap minimum speed =
is 30kts at 1g it is 42kts at 2g it is 68kts and add 5 kts to all those =
with ballast. Based on those speeds when thermaling in turbulent air =
lack of control response will be felt easily and either more speed or =
less bank will be needed. In 3 years I have found that my ASW20 gives =
plenty of warning that speed is too low or indeed that speed is too high =
for the flap setting selected.
A pilot with 100+hours solo that has read and understood the manual =
should have no problems, it is not a novice glider. It can be flown =
level or in gentle turns at less than 40 kts but do not try it in rough =
conditions the airflow will break away unpredictably.

David Smith