Old October 23rd 03, 04:02 PM
Peter R.

Greg Esres ) wrote:

This allows the GPS to provide more relevant distance information.

I don't understand what you're saying. I don't see how OBS mode has
any relation to this. The distance information should always be to
the active waypoint, either in leg mode or OBS mode.

Of course, you are correct.

My previous post's intent was not to strictly compare the distance
abilities of leg mode to OBS mode. I was comparing using the VOR approach
in the database (in leg mode) to "rolling my own" approach with OBS mode,
so to speak.

Many VOR approaches in the KLN94 GPS database (at least here in the NE US)
count down distance to the MAP. However, as you know, VOR approaches are
often published with distance to/from the VOR. For me, using the GPS to
monitor the VOR approach is situationally more beneficial using OBS mode
because the distance reported by the GPS now matches the published approach
plate.

Additionally, by using OBS mode I am able to set up the GPS ahead of time
so that the VOR final approach course is accurately depicted on the moving
map. If I leave the GPS in leg mode and hit direct-to the VOR, the course
is drawn from my current position direct to the VOR, rather along the final
approach course.

--
Peter