Old December 15th 05, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Actual Time in Sacramento

On 12/15/2005 11:48, Bob Moore wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote
Are you sure about that? According to my understanding, the rabbit is
not part of the runway environment, and is not enough to allow you to
proceed below minimums. You need to have one of the various runway
environment pieces called-out in the regs. What am I missing?

You're good to 100' above touchdown on the approach lights only, no need
to see the red bars.

(c) Operation below DH or MDA. Except as provided in paragraph (l) of this
section, where a DH or MDA is applicable, no pilot may operate an aircraft,
except a military aircraft of the United States, at any airport below the
authorized MDA or continue an approach below the authorized DH unless—
(i) The approach light system, except that the pilot may not descend below
100 feet above the touchdown zone elevation using the approach lights as a
reference unless the red terminating bars or the red side row bars are also
distinctly visible and identifiable.

Oh, rats. Thanks, Bob. I got that backwards during my training as well.
I don't know why I can't keep that straight. I guess I'm going to have
to write myself a big note and stick it on my mirror ;-\

Thanks for straightening me out!

Bob Moore
CFII

Sacramento, CA