Old July 18th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tri-Pacer[_1_]

Default Testing MoGas

.. Well, a guy on a Cherokee 235 mail group has come
up with the following method to test for water AND alcohol at the same
time -- tell me what you think of this:

1. Put fuel in cup.
2. Add 1/4 of an alka-seltzer to fuel
3. If no fizz, no water OR alcohol is present.

Sportys sold a kit which consisted of a chemical that when added to the fuel
turned color if alcohol was present. I bought a number of kits some time
back and test each and every load. Very easy to do. I tested some gas while
in California that I knew had alcohol. Sure enough the fuel with the reagent
added, turned a deep purple letting me know the kit does work as advertised.

Unfortunately I don't see it advertised anymore.

Paul
N1431A