Old February 24th 07, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vaughn Simon

Default Liquid oxygen equipment for glider

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..

Negative:
Short shelf life . i.e. "use it or lose it".
Difficult support system. Essentially, LOX must be manufactured on the
gliderport for it to make sense. Such "air reduction" devices do exist for
medical LOX but they are expensive.

I have a bit of experience using medical lox and the above need not be
true. Patients who use lox keep a device at home that looks a lot like at beer
keg. A guy in a truck comes around every week or two to top the "keg" off. The
oxygen can be used straight from the "keg" or transfered to a portable oxygen
system. Assuming that there were enough users to make it pay, that same truck
could come by a gliderport. Naturally, it is those portable oxygen systems that
are of prime interest to aviators. Many of them have a pulse system to conserve
oxygen and make it last even longer. I have no idea if they would be safe for
aviation use, but I think that we can safely assume that they are not built with
that in mind.

LOX can be dangerous for inexperienced people to handle.

Yes.

The temptation is that used "wearable" medical LOX systems are available on
E-Bay cheap.

Yes. I covered that above.

Vaughn