Old May 15th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.piloting
Eric Greenwell

Default SPOT messenger

Darryl Ramm wrote:

And to Martin's earlier comment, OK etc. does not always take 20
minutes to send, it might take up to that (or may never successfully
send) but you can see that messages often go out quicker than this.
I'm missing the point of the argument used, I use tracking becasue it
is convenient and I don't want to press buttons, not because I think a
track position report is more likely to get out than an OK report.

I also use tracking for these reasons. I do think an OK messages will
get out more reliably a tracking message, because OK messages have a 20
minute window to get out, versus the 10 minute window of the tracking
messages. All my OK messages have been sent, but an ocasional tracking
message isn't, sometimes two in a row.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes" http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org