Old June 10th 08, 12:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

Default Oshkosh questions

On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 22:21:22 -0500, Andy Asberry
wrote:

I'm thinking of volunteering at AirVenture during the show and two
weeks prior. Does EAA provide any place to camp for volunteers? I
don't mind paying during the show but premium rate ($20/day) for a
field is kind of tough to swallow. Especially while I'm working for
free. There are a lot of full service parks (not the "resorts") for
$100/week with WIFI, pool, water, electric, sewer and cable TV.

I'll be traveling with a 24 foot travel trailer and a LWB 3/4 ton
pickup. Combo about 50 feet long or so. The spaces in Camp Scholler
are 20x30 and the rules say units have to be 10 feet apart. That means
no room for the truck. They say extra vehicle parking permits can be
purchased for the nearby lots. Is this an accurate interpretation? If
so, this is a deal breaker for me.

In the volunteer camping (for folks who arrive early, as I understand
it) it looks pretty crowded BUT all units seem to have their tow
vehicle in attendance.

When will the WIFI be operational?

No idea

Has anyone camped in Camp Scholler before? Your experience?

Been camping at OSh since 1971. My tent first camped there in 1972
and is still in use one week a year. Experience? Almost all good.
There is the occassional idiot running an unmuffled generator but for
the most part it is a pleasant experience.

Has anyone volunteered before. Is it enjoyable or slave labor?

Been volunteering for many years in various areas. Like most things
it is what you make of it. You can work yourself to death or pace
yourself and enjoy the experience. Give it a try at least once. If
you like it go back for more!

I have emailed EAA but no reply yet.

--Andy Asberry--

Errol Groff