Old January 30th 18, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff Morgan

Default A Question for ClearNav Users ...

I have a glider purchase pending inspection and a simple A/D compliance item. It's a nice ship, and the seller has been an absolutely outstanding gentlemen to work with.

The glider is about 95% how I would have done things had I bought it new, but there are few small items - one of which is the ClearNav vario. It is one of three varios, the other two being a 80mm Sage and a 57mm Borgelt. Eventually the Borgelt will go away and I'll get FLARM, but that is another thread ...

The installed vario is the version with the mechanical pointer arm over the LCD panel. Very nice, but I am considering the full digital vario. Looking at the ClearNav web site, it appears that the same ADC supports either unit, so all I would have to do is replace the panel instrument.

What appeals to me most about the the digital display is the Thermal Assistant. It looks like a very useful feature to help visualize and rapidly core a thermal. Otherwise, it seems the mechanical arm version supplies the necessary basic information. Hence my question to ClearNav users:

Would that be a worthwhile instrument switch? Is the Thermal Assistant useful, or a "gee wiz" feature?