Old March 4th 18, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Default Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 10:10:27 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I would not recommend assuming that a manufacturer "assumes".Â* When in
doubt, ask the manufacturer.Â* My experience in the auto industry,
involved with manufacturer's engineering specifications, indicates that
they have very stringent specs.Â*

There is an SAE standard for recommended towing maximums. But the number of manufacturers that actually adhere to the standard has changed over the years. So it is difficult for consumers to compare the tow capacity of vehicles. It's interesting to read that the standard is based on a real world scenario.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...ined-tech-dept