Old April 26th 18, 06:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

Default GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

I'm excited to announce a new soaring app I've developed called GliderLink. The app shows your location and the location of nearby gliders on a moving map. You can see the other gliders' callsign, relative altitude, heading, and vertical speed. That's about it right now; it's very simple. The value of this app is that it allows you to quickly see where nearby gliders are, and whether they're in lift or sink. No more confusion on the radio trying to communicate to others where you are. With this app, all it takes is a glance. This enables team soaring, and increases safety by helping you be aware of where other gliders are. It could also be useful for lead/follow cross-country mentoring.

Cheers,
Ben

Amazing! How exciting! I'm going to try it out and have already ordered my pair of goTenna mesh devices a few moments ago. It would have made such a huge difference last season (2017) when I was invited to follow another pilot, more experienced in the area, and 60% of my attention and pleasure was taken away by the constant effort to look for him in the sky. Thanks, Ben.

BTW, the mesh networking will be very useful in extending the range over a certain area. And how about an option to save the maps to an SD card?

Tom BravoMike