Old December 8th 03, 02:38 AM
Peter Ashwood-Smith C-GZRO

There are a few other differences.

The T has a pressure cowl. That is the air exits from the bottom
only. On the S, the cowl is open behind the cylinders to let air
escape.

The T does not have a bow/cutout in the upper wing above the
cockpit. Its one straight piece. Presumably this is because the wing
is further forward to help balance the engine/prop. Presumably the
fuse attach points for the lower wing are different as are the
locations of the aileron idler and bellcrank to accomadate the more
forward position. Ihave not flown an S but I imagine the visibility is
a bit better in the T due to a more forward wing.

The T ailerons have spades.

There are structural differences also. One of the easiest to see is
the cabanes. On the S's the diagaonal cabane attaches to the upper
forward vertical cabane but on the T it attaches to the rear upper
cabane. Also, the T's incorporate a solid bar between the forward and
rear cabane attach points to stop them from flexing.

There are probably a lots of other sturctural beef ups many of which
were later incorporated into uncertified S's.

Peter Ashwood-Smith

As already covered the 'S' has a fixed pitch prop and the 'T' has
constant speed.

The S was also the beginning of the longer fuse.

The S started with frise ailerons and later had the symetricals which
all T's had. The T also came standard with 200hp (and electrical system)
and the top wing is further forward to handle the extra weight of the
prop and engine. There are a bunch of other little changes. Including, I
believe, an angled front on the turtle deck.

Martin Morgan

Guenther Eichhorn wrote:
Hi,

I have a list of Pitts types on-line on my aerobatics website at:

http://acro.harvard.edu/ACRO

in the section [Other Aerobatics Info].

Aerotek was the name of the company that produced the Pitts for a while. the company
changed names a few times, the current one is Aviat.

Guenther
Dr. Guenther Eichhorn |
ADS Project Scientist | Phone: 617-495-7260
http://ads.harvard.edu | Fax: 617-496-7700
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory
1815 Mass. Ave., MS-31, Cambridge, MA 02140, USA

In article ,
"Wendy" writes:

Hi-

I've a few questions concerning S1 types. The -C I know has an AEIO-320,
with ailerons on the lower wing. The -S, I believe, has an AEIO-360 along
with four ailerons. Must it also have a constant speed prop to be a true
S1S? And how does the -S differ from the -T? Lastly, can anyone enlighten
me on the differences, if any, between Aerotek and Aviat?

TIA-
Wendy