Old July 12th 03, 03:39 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I'm flying the alleganies in a couple of weeks... Wonder what pucker-up
adventures await...

Denny

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 21:19:52 GMT, EDR wrote:

The Central PA mountains are another local weather maker which

inhibit
east-west flight. The mountains have claimed many an aircraft and
unwary pilot.

IFR, VFR or doesn't it matter? I was flying IFR over PA yesterday
afternoon at 8,000ft, above a solid layer and was listening to several

VFR
pilots talking to Harrisburg Approach about quickly deteriorating

weather.
A few tried to get pop-up IFR clearances but were temporarily denied,

while
others were doing 180s and trying to find nearby airports in which to

land.
It did not sound pleasant.

Ernie Gann wrote about flying Pennsylvania and the Alleganies during
the DC-2/3 days. Summer, Winter, day and night.

Worst icing I ever experienced was near Williamsport, PA (IPT) when I
picked up so much clear ice in about 5 to 10 minutes my Cherokee was
down to 85 knots at full power, and barely maintaining altitude.

But it's a hell of a lot easier, and safer, than it was when airmail
pilots were flying DH-4s with no navaids, or for that matter, even 50
years ago when there were no VORs or ILS approaches or weather radar.

vince norris