Old September 14th 04, 04:59 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
Bill Jameson wrote:

BUFDRVR wrote:
Tom Cervo wrote:

Come off it, Dan, anyone who used a typewriter knew the trick of lifting
the
roller a smidge (or lowering it) for sub (or super) script. You must not
have
ever typed footnotes.

The issue isn't the raised "th", but the fact that the "th" is written in a
smaller font as well.

From 1968 on SMC (Smith Corona) typewriters had two optional keyface
slots (shift one and shift +) for a number of optional letters, accents
and marks. I had section and paragraph marks on mine as I clerked in a
law office. "rd" and "nd" superscripts were also available.

Did they also offer proportional spacing and intercharacter kerning?