Old August 15th 04, 12:11 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Lot of noise being made about Purple Hearts
From: "Keith Willshaw"

asualtis are largley the resilt of statistical happenstance
and chaos theory.

Using that theory, there's no reason to train aircrew beyond the basics of
operating their machine. I mean,

if its all "statisical happenstance" then
it
really doesn't matter who's good and who's not.

This is where the disconnect comes in I suspect.

For aircrew of Art's period where flak was the biggest killer
and there was bugger all you could to do about it
statistical happenstance was a biggie. A lot of very
experienced and competent aircrews were lost
attacking the target. Once the bombardier took
over the aircraft had to fly straight and level until
the bombs were gone. During that period the
worst crew in the world and the best crew in the
world have the same chances and this is probably
the most heavily defended piece of sky they'll
cross on the mission. I,ve spoken to a few WW2
aircrews and this was the part of the mission they
hated.

(snip good stuff)

Keith

Exactly right Keith. .How come you are so smart? (grin)

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer