Old July 30th 03, 03:50 AM
rjciii

"spektr" wrote:

Why don't you
just reposition and use the PRIMARY ACTIVE RUNWAY

Be advised that the airport rules (approved in writing by the FAA
without allowing comment from the glider club) explicitly dictates
that the gliders will operate off of the non-instrument runway *only*.

FWIW, there is a blind spot caused by trees which blocks the view of
the approach of one runway from the departure end of the other runway
no matter which runway we use. So if we moved glider ops to the
instrument runway, the arpt. mngr. would still clamor for the need of
a spotter (albiet applicable to the glider operators only).

-Isn't the guy flying the C-172 taking off on Rnwy 21 just as blind to
the approach end of Rnwy 31? [The answer is "Yes"].

-Then how come he doesn't need a spotter at the intersection? [The
answer is "Because the local FAA has determined that blindness is
aircraft specific].

This is the ATL FSDO's interpretation of Assurance #22 of the Airport
and Airways Improvement Act of 1982 where it states, "...fair,
reasonable, and not unjustly discriminatory conditions to be met by
*all* users of the airport"!