Old October 6th 04, 07:17 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 21:07:28 -0400, " jls"
wrote:

"Justin H" wrote in message
I have some Bendix S4LN Mags and the P-Lead shielding is in bad condition
and I'm having noise problems. Can they be bought prebuilt or do I have to
buy wire and connectors and crimpers. Ive searched aircraft spruce and

such,
I guess they dont sell it or im searching the wrong thing.

The ends can be purchased from API and McFarlane. You solder a bead on the
mag ends, then sand the bead flat. Not hard to do but you need good
shielded wire which is available through Spruce or other sources. The
cable I used also had a teflon cover over the shielding. I could not find
cable as thick as the original on a 172. The A&P said that was a typical
problem but that the cable available was of a sufficient gauge.

So far, so good. I test the p-leads occasionally by turning the switch to
'off' when the engine is idling.

If you're real quick you can turn them back on and clean any
restrictions out of the mufflers at the same time. you know, things
like flame cones?

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com