Old December 28th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Uncle Fuzzy

Default Soaring apps for iPhone

On Dec 27, 3:31*pm, cfinn wrote:
I'd like to see an app for an Artificial Horizon...just select the app
and place the device onto your panel via a large piece of velcro...

Beach

There hs been several threads on using an Iphone on the various
aviation groups. Do not attempt to use the little AH app you can
download on Itunes for flying. The Iphone does not have gyros. It
uses
accelerometers which will not help you in an airplane.

I like Sky Charts. Up-to-date FAA sectionals. It allows you to cache
several so they stay resident and can be used in places with no cell
phone coverage. Huge disclaimer that it is NOT to be used for
navication. I find it handy when I've forgotten the CTAF for a given
airport. The display isn't very good in full sunlight though, so it's
of limited utility.
Another pilot I talked to today uses an APP that gets and displays the
current METAR for designated airports. I didn't get the name of that
app though.