Old September 4th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Whelan[_3_]

Default Just pull the little red handle!

On 9/4/2010 11:47 AM, 5Z wrote:
On Sep 1, 12:02 am, Walt ConnellyWalt.Connelly.
wrote:
this really true? It would seem to me that the cheapest form of
avoidance would be making ourselves more visible. I am in the market
for an older, aluminum ship and would consider painting it bright red if
it would increase my visibility.

The BGA did a study and bottom line is the only thing that really
helps is adding highly reflective bits to leading and trailing edges.
Bright colors and contrasting colors end up being worthless at
anything but close range, is my understanding.

-Tom

One good test is worth a thousand considered opinions. But that's just my
opinion...

Seriously, I doubt there's any single color/device that is '100% visually
"best".' The devil's in the details. F'r'example...

Reflective tape is likely pretty ineffective unless in non-diffuse sunlight.

Solid yellow is definitely better/more visible than many other primary colors
I've seen on sailplanes under many lighting conditions...but virtually
disappears in certain conditions of beneath-cloud shadow. Both observations
true for distant sightings, too, at least with my eyes.

In 'essentially solid color terms', dark orange is probably 2nd-best IMHO,
with red less so. Blue and green not so good, though against certain
backgrounds both can stand out.

Shiny silver is mostly excellent camouflage.

So anyone looking for a 'panacea visibility scheme' is likely doomed to
disappointment...but anyone rationalizing 'white is as good as anything else'
is (arguably) - and easily personally testable by keeping a good lookout in an
environment of mixed sailplane colors - wrong.

YMMV.

Bob W.