Old October 15th 03, 09:06 AM
The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:20:51 GMT, Vince Brannigan
wrote:

I'm just back from Glasgow.

Remission of sentence is a wonderful thing.

Hey Glasgow's always fun

It's alright, Vince, you're back in civilization now. No need to make
patently ridiculous PublicRelationStatements in order to get out of
mob of wegians alive.

and I got to go to Dundee and see the RRS
DISCOVERY and the HMS UNICORN,

I used to live in Dundee, but I missed out on Unicorn. Discovery was
interesting, if only to check out the officer's berths and reflect on
the Edwardian class divide. Scott used to rope off the messes in huts
in the Antarctic as well, which I find a little distasteful with my
modern sensibilities, but was probably a simple reflection of the
times with no specifically demeaning intent. I have to say I always
preferred Shackleton myself, especially after reading about his small
boat journey from Elephant Island as a kid.

That was a _real_ sea story.

not to mention the site of the Tay bridge
disaster.

Victorian engineering at it's best. For full authenticity don't
forget to recite McGonagall as you cross it courtesy of Scotrail.

I'm trying to cook up a deal to help advise them on fire
safety in historic ships.

Tell Captain Haddock to put his pipe out. That should cut down the
premiums straight away.

Gaviin Bailey

--

"Will Boogie Down For Food".- Sign held by Disco Stu outside the unemployment office.