Old July 16th 03, 02:51 PM
Andrew Boyd

Andrew Boyd wrote (about kinds of rolls):

Sigh. I forget to mention probably my favorite kind
of roll, the torque roll:

The aircraft is pulled (or pushed) to the vertical with
full power and full aileron deflection opposite the torque
of the propeller: left stick with a Lycoming, right stick
with an M14P.

If the aircraft is kept balanced perfectly vertical - no
barrelling - it will stop, then start to tailslide backwards,
and the aircraft will continue to rotate opposite the torque
of the propeller. Remember, when the IAS goes to zero, the
flight controls (at least the onew outside the slipstream)
have no air to push against.

Here is one of the finest pilots in the world - a Lithuanian
by the name of Jurgis Kairys - demonstrating a torque roll.
You can tell from the direction of rotation he's behind an
M14P (or M14PF):

http://www.jkairys.com/common/movies...002_2nd_ex.mpg

The trick with a torque roll is that the more rolls you
do backwards, the faster you will end up going, and the
more violent the ensuing pivot will be. Recovery is power
off, both feet firmly on the rudders, both hands on the stick
and arms locked to avoid damaging the flight controls.

Also, one needs to think a bit about the use of smoke during
the torque roll.

--
ATP www.pittspecials.com