Old May 22nd 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Default Anyone flown a SHK-1?

At 22:36 21 May 2017, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sun, 21 May 2017 13:39:31 -0700, Bruce Hoult wrote:

When someone says "the first Cirrus was essentially a glass

SHK, the
prototype inherited the V-tail, the production versions went over

to the
conventional tail-plane and elevator" I tend to the assumption

they're
talking about "early" ones -- which are the vast majority of

examples in
NZ.

Understood: apparently only the first prototype had a V-tail, so I'd
expect the "early" Cirruses in NZ to be T-tailed with all flying

tails.

I also know that the first production Std Cirrii had 1.5 degrees

washout
on the wing and were a bit prone to tip stalling and spinning.

Later Std
Cirrii had 3 degrees of washout which, apparently cost them some
performance but killed the tip stalling tendency, but I have no idea

what
Wrk.Nr this change applied to. It would be interesting to know

which
group most NZ-registered Std Cirri fall in.

I've heard it said that Std Cirri dominated Club Class until the ones
with 1.5 degrees of washout had all been broken and that after

that Std
Libelles took over. Make what you will of that!

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

The change over came in the spring/summer of 1972 as I was
working at S-H as a summer student. I helped lay up the first sets
of increased twist wings. Sorry, I don't recall the serial numbers.
If you want to buy a pre-1972 Std Cirrus, make sure you determine
the turning stall/spin characteristics and speeds (at altitude) before
you buy it. If it behaves differently (one direction compared to the
other) don't buy it.

RO