Old July 18th 04, 01:00 AM
GaryP

(Jay) wrote in message om...
Didn't the CD manufacturers get into hot water for setting what
amounted to a Minimum Retail Price Policy?

When an entire industry fixes prices that is illegal. But we are
talking about 1 manufacturer setting prices, their prices.
I am sorry but there is nothing wrong with that. Now if Garmin,
Bendix King, Lowrance and whomever all met in a smoke filled room
and set minimum prices for all GPS equipment that would be a different
story.

The notion of filing a class action law suit against Garmin for
establishing a minimum retail price on their products is silly.
No one forces a shop to sell Garmin. A shop chooses to do so willingly
and in order to become an authorized retailer agrees to Garmin's
retail policies. But it is still only Garmin setting prices on Garmin
products. Now Garmin can increase prices up until they exclude enough
of the market to cause a drop in overall sales and therefore loose
profits. Still their choice! Right now there are enough people
willing to buy Garmin products at Garmin's current retail prices to
keep there production line busy. Until another company comes along
with as good of a product or better to challenge Garmin it is not
going to change. Garmin is in the business to make money not friends.

Gary P