Old September 14th 04, 11:24 AM
smjmitchell

See below for data as requested:

Also see MIL-STD-899 for further info (you can download that from the web)
at http://stinet.dtic.mil/str/index.html

Metal Potential
Magnesium and its alloys -1.60
Zinc die-casting alloy -1.10
Zinc plating on steel -1.10
Zinc plating on steel, chromate passivated -1.05
Galvanised iron -1.05
Tin/Zinc (80/20) plating in steel -1.05
Cadmium-Zinc solder -1.05
Wrought Al-clad Al Alloys -0.90
Cadmium plating on steel -0.80
Aluminium alloy castings -0.75
Wrought aluminium -0.75
Non-stainless steel & grey cast iron -0.70
Duralumin type un-clad alloys -0.60
Lead -0.55
Lead-silver solder -0.50
Tin-lead solder -0.50
Tinned Steel -0.50
Cr plating (0.0005") on steel -0.50
Stainless 12% Cr -0.45
Tin plating on steel -0.45
Cr plating (0.00003") on plating steel -0.45
Chromium (99%) -0.45
Stainless High Cr (18/2) -0.35
Copper and its alloys (Brass, bronze, etc) -0.25
Nickel-Copper alloys -0.25
Stainless, Austenitic (18/8) -0.20
Silver solder -0.20
Monel metal -0.15
Nickel plating on steel Titanium -0.15
Titanium -0.15
Silver and silver plating on copper 0
Rhodium plating on silver plated Copper +0.05
Carbon +0.10
Platinum +0.15
Gold +0.15

Condition Max. Potential Difference
Marine and outdoor environment 0.3 Volts
Indoor environment 0.5 Volts
Interior assemblies, hermetically sealed No restriction

"Greg Reid" wrote in message
om...
"smjmitchell" wrote in message

. au...

5. Galvanic corrosion .. magnesium is at -1.6 V and alumnium at -0.75 V

on
the galvanic table. That is a big different. You definitely need

something
to separate the two or the magnesium is going to get gobbled up !!

Interesting. Where might I information like this for making decisions
on what metals can be safely bolted together w/r/t galvanic corrosion?
At issue right now is whether it'll be OK to thread my brass
fuel-system finger strainers and fuel drains into aluminum blocks, but
other such questions will certainly come up in future.

Thanks,
Greg