Old August 26th 04, 03:08 PM
Thomas Knauff

Default Fredericksburg Texas MG contest

Doris and I are flying in the motorglider contest in Fredericksburg, Texas.
We hoped to also have a two place contest, however, a few cancellations and
lack of interest had only two of us showing up. There a total of eleven
contestants in the motorglider contest.

The weather has been unusually cool, meaning very low altitudes and lots of
rain. Texas is GREEN! Flying low over the Texas hill country can be very
uncomfortable. Yesterday was our first contest day and all but one used
thier engine to get home. The highest we are able to climb has been about
4,000 AGL.

The new ILEC SN-10 software is a great improvement. While flying the task,
the moving map screen shows the five close airports with a plus sign if you
can reach it, or a negative if you can not. A simple click on the screen
shows all the information about the airport, and you can choose to direct
the flight to that airport if desired.

Fredericksburg is a neat town settled by Germans. The Nimitz museum is
fantastic . Most of us are staying in the Hangar Hotel on the airport with
luxury accomodations. The pilot meetings are held in a lavish lounge. We get
a special glider contest rate for the week.

--
Thomas Knauff
Knauff & Grove, Inc.