Old December 10th 03, 12:10 AM
Arnold Pieper

Thank you Simon,

Exaclty like I said in a previous message :
The table below confirms it, It is NOT simply the VNE corrected as TAS.

Go ahead and check this table if you will :
100Kt IAS @ 26000ft is LEGAL, ALLOWED and SAFE as per the manual.
That's because table shows 111Kt IAS as being the limit at this altitude.

Now calculate your TAS for this condition (100Kt IAS @ 26000ft), with
various range of temperatures.
Here's what you will get as TAS for the various temperatures :
163Kt @ -45 Celsius (way below Standard),
167Kt @ -35 Celsius (aprox. std temperature for this altitude)
170Kt @ -25 Celsius (above Standard)

All of these TAS are higher than the original Low-altitude IAS VNE of
146Kt, painted on the ASI.
Which confirms what I said : the VNE is NOT simply to be corrected as a TAS
figure.

This limitation in IAS with Altitudes are "NEW" values for VNE, due to
flutter or whatever the reason with altitude.
But the resulting TAS at these conditions will be higher than the original
VNE.

"Simon Kahn" wrote in message
From DG website DG1000 flight manual:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/index-e.html
==========
Warning: At higher altitudes the true airspeed is higher
than the indicated airspeed, so VNE is reduced with
altitude according to the table below, see also section
4.5.5.

Altitude in [m] 0-3000 4000 5000 6000 7000
8000
VNE indicated km/h 270 256 243 230 217
205

Altitude in [ft] 0-10000 13000 16000 20000
23000 26000
VNE indicated kts. 146 138 131
124 117 111

-------
Simon.

19:54 09 December 2003, Arnold Pieper wrote:
This seems to me to be some arbitrary way of staying
conservative.
Look at the manual of some gliders, that do have the
limitation on IAS with Altitude.
You will see that the table of IAS is not correcting
the VNE as a TAS value.

Nowhere in aviation VNE is considered a TAS value.