Old September 10th 03, 03:40 AM
Brad Z

"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote in message
If you look at the approach plate for KWVI/WVI LOC Rwy 2, there is no
requirement for DME. All that's there is a localizer (without glide

slope -

Actually, there is Cecil, according to the "DME or RADAR required" note in
the top right of the chart..
The reason they want you on radar or to have DME is to keep you inside the
10NM ring for the missed approach. Just outside the ring is something just
over 4000 feet due north of the airport.

making the approach non-precision) and a NDB which isn't even part of this
approach procedure (there is a separate NDB approach for the same runway,
though).

Thanks for the clarification on the feeder route. By the way isn't this
approach an example where the initial approach fix and the FAF are one and
the same?

Good Flights!

Cecil E. Chapman, Jr.
PP-ASEL

"We who fly do so for the love of flying.
We are alive in the air with this miracle
that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"

- Cecil Day Lewis-

My personal adventures as a student pilot
and after my PPL: www.bayareapilot.com
"Michael" wrote in message
om...
"Cecil E. Chapman" wrote
Anyway (I'm sorry, in advance, if I'm am asking something that should

be
obvious)

It should be but you're a student so it's OK

I'm looking at the LOC Rwy 2 approach to Watsonville Municipal
(California). There is a procedure turn that sits just before the
'entrance' into the localizer. How does one identify where it

actually
is
(the beginning of the procedure turn, that is)? Does one simply fly

up
the
localizer and when the localizer signal is lost THAT is where the

location
of the procedure turn sits?

Well, assuming you arrived at the IAF (NALLS intersection) along one
of the charted feeder routes (from SANTY intersection or SNS VOR) you
turn outbound (South) on the localizer, fly a minute or so (longer if
you have a headwind), and then do the procedure turn. The only
requirement is that you complete the course reversal (in whatever way
seems best to you and keeps you inside the protected area) and get
established inbound before crossing NALLS.

Now for the real question - why in the world is DME required for this
approach?

Michael