Old August 27th 04, 07:31 PM
Jay Honeck

If it "starts at $25k" -- that's a "reserve"...

I disagree. A reserve is naturally deceptive, as it's a minimum price
which is higher than the current bid, but which is not being revealed to
bidders. I never understood why people have a reserve rather than just
starting bidding at their "reserve" price, I guess they are hoping if
they start low a bidding frenzy will carry people past the reserve into
the stratosphere. It must work because it's such a commonly used tactic.

Right -- it's a semantic argument. The "starting bid" is the "reserve"
price, in real life.

If the "starting bid" on an auction is lower than the REAL "reserve" price,
that's just plain deceptive and stupid, in my opinion.

I never bid on reserve auctions unless the reserve has already been met.

Me, neither.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA