Old May 18th 20, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Shaun Wheeler

Default Omarama update

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 4:01:13 PM UTC-5, Phil Plane wrote:
On Sunday, 17 May 2020 13:37:22 UTC+12, Mike wrote:
Thanks for passing this on, Phil. Hope this all works out for you and the other instructors there. Am I correct in assuming that Glide Omarama, having most of the related assets and a working business plan, has already applied for the license and that this announcement is to satisfy some sort of NZ public disclosure requirement? Anything we can do to assist as individuals?

Not entirely. Glide Omarama announced in March they were closing down. They laid off all the flying staff and shut down operations. Every-one was flailing around trying to sort out what happens next, staff looking for work, pilots trying to work out how to get a launch down the line, etc.

Next the coronavirus lockdown comes along and suddenly in April Glide Omarama announces they're planning on re-opening in September. Ex-staff are mostly confused by this as the reason for the shutdown was never resolved.

Now the airfield company has noticed the Glide Omarama didn't renew their operating agreement so they have made an announcement asking for expressions of interest. This is not just a procedural thing. They are really looking for other operators to step up.

As to what happens next, your guess is as good as mine.

--
Phil Plane

I hope things work out. With the uncertainty related to Covid it's hard to imagine anybody willing to risk the capital that this might well require to make it real.