Old April 26th 04, 06:09 PM
Andrew Gideon

Captain Wubba wrote:

This may sound silly, but I take a $0.99 pair of clear protective
goggles (from Sears or Home Depot, or wherever), then put duct tape
over the top half of the lenses, and along the sides. I got tired of
losing $20 foggles.

I hope I don't have to go this route. I'm lazy. But it may be what I do.

When I did my IFR training, I used foggles. They were terrific for me, my
glasses, and my headset.

After receiving the rating, I managed to find enough poor weather to stay
current w/o the foggles. In the meantime, I got a new pair of glasses
which dip less low below my natural sight-line than my previous pair. That
is, there's more uncorrected visual space when I look down my nose, for
example.

A few months ago, I tried to use foggles, and found it very difficult. The
clear part of the foggles is only partially corrected for my vision by my
glasses. I've only a little trouble with the instruments (although I need
to move my head too much), but charts on my lap are just impossible to see.

I need to find something with which to replace the foggles, but I've not
figured out yet what. I'm afraid that anything close to my glasses (ie.
something which clips on) is going to have a similar problem. So I may
have to fall back on something like a hoodlamp or traditional hood.

I'm disappointed, though, as I liked the ease of the foggles.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks...

Andrew