Old May 8th 04, 08:23 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

wrote in message

I've recently had a discussion with my A&P/IA about this. He
routinely hops in his turbo arrow, and flies from Virginia to Key
West VFR at 11000' without talking to a soul.

A violation of FAR 91.159(a).

Right over top of Class-C and Class-B. What he says, (and I tend
to agree with him anymore), is if you talk to them, even if you're clear
of their airspace, they'll try to route you over hell and gone.

Possibly an error on ATC's part over the top of Class C airspace, definitely
an error on their part over Class B airspace.

Having flown under and over Chicago's airspace, a number of
times, you find this more often than not. Rather than encouraging
the additional safety of flight following, this really discourages
working with the approach controllers. Same thing talking with
Milwaukee approach every time I've gone up there. I'm coming
lakeshore from the south, planning to go just outside of their Class-C
on my way in to Capitol, also just outside their Class-C. If I talk
to them, they'll route me 10 miles to the west, every time... even
without traffic conflict.

Class C services are provided to participating VFR traffic in the outer area
just as they are in the Class C proper, but without conflicting IFR traffic
they have no basis upon which to move you.