Old January 18th 11, 08:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
bod43

Default status of Delta Hawk diesel

On Jan 17, 9:19*pm, Tom De Moor
wrote:
In article ,
says...
Aero-diesels impose from the start a kind of supercharger, adding
complexity, weight and more things to go wrong.

Hmm, well a 2-stroke like the delta-hawk does.

On the other hand on the Deltahawk there are no -
magnetos, spark plugs, leads
valves, camshafts, followers, pushrods, rockers
cylinder head gaskets (head integral with cylinder)

Engine has *no* need for an electrical supply to run.

I have followed the development for a while and very much like
the concepts behind the deltahawk.

Some makes add also a PSRU, once again adding weight, extra maintenance
and cost.

Engine speed is such that no PSRU is required.

The
other problem is that fuel pumps and injector systems used on diesel engines
usually will not work using jet fuel, which is the fuel these engines are
normally going to be using.

Deltahawk designed from outset for Jet fuel.

Of course, the largest problem is having the money it takes to develop an
engine and get it to market. *Costs can be enormous.

DH are still there. They claim that "Experimental" engines
are available now with certification Real Soon

As I said, I like the options they have chosen for their
clean sheet design. There seems every prospect that they
will be safe, robust and economical if the fuel tax in any
particular jurisdiction does not rule that out.