Old June 4th 16, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Wacky Tracky

What did family, friends, and crews do before all of this tracking was
available...?

I find it odd that some days in New Mexico (lots of GPS testing), my
Streak and my CNvXC vario receive the GPS signals while my Garmin 396
does not. I sure hope those sneaky Russians use Garmin and not Clearnav!

On 6/3/2016 9:06 PM, wrote:
You might consider reading the original post. People on the ground were not seeing the tracking information - nothing to do with what JS was seeing. It appears that both satellite tracking companies were having trouble getting data onto their websites. But a day later the info was there, quite odd.

Delays like this can be troubling for folks on the ground trying to figure out whether the pilot has crashed or there's just a glitch somewhere in the loop.

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 7:51:31 PM UTC-7, soarhead wrote:
You might try that thingy called "maps." Much cheaper than the Infotainment Center found in most gliders these days, and not subject to GPS blackouts. A useful accessory is the "compass," if you are not flying out west, where you can navigate by seeing those things called "mountains."

--
Dan, 5J