Old April 18th 07, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kev

Default VOR ranges on sectionals

On Apr 15, 4:51 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
ZikZak writes:
Service ranges are not indicated on sectionals, but the AFD and IFR
enroute charts will indicate whether the VOR is rated as terminal,
low, or high. The typical range below 14500 is 40 miles in radius.

Thanks.

You'll also need an A/FD (Airport/Facility Directory). Among many
other things, it tells you if there are unusable radials for each VOR.

For example, a VOR near me has the following note:

VOR UNUSBL
029-045 BYD 15 NM BLO 5000 FT;
050-060 BYD 10 NM ALL ALTS;
210-230 BYD 20 NM BLO 6500 FT

Naturally, as a student I blindly planned a flight along one of the
unusable portions. Ooops!

Kev