Old October 1st 04, 01:39 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"John R. Copeland" wrote:

"Andrew Gideon" wrote in message
online.com...
Roy Smith wrote:

BTW, it's questions like this that make me really love the CNX-80 I fly
with. You don't have to put in the intermediate fixes. You just tell
it what airway you're on, and it digs all the fixes out of the database
for you.

Is there any disadvantage to this?

I'd an email dialog with a Garmin representative recently. One of the
questions I asked was whether they'd plans to put airways (and airway route
entry) into their 430s at any point. His answer was that this was being
considered, but that they were concerned at making the UI more difficult.

I cannot imagine how this feature would make it more difficult, but I've
never tried this. You obviously have. So...is there any complexity
increase to this?

- Andrew

I shouldn't answer for Roy, but it's very easy in the CNX80/GNS480.
You can try for yourself, if you wish, by downloading and running the
CNX80 simulator for Windows, from Garmin:
http://www.garmin.com/software/simulators/CNX80sim.zip

When you insert any waypoint (or VOR) into a flight plan you are building,
and then indicate you wish to insert an airway from there,
you get to select from a list of all airways using that waypoint.
After you choose your airway, you get to pick your exit point
from an alphabetized list of all waypoints (and VORs) in that airway.
The CNX80/GNS480 also shows you a maplike diagram of the airway,
which is helpful in making your choice.

Roy, did I leave out any important thing?
---JRC---

Nope, that's pretty much it. Sometimes I wish the list of waypoints
would come up in geographical order instead of alphabetical, but I've
gotten used to it the way it is. And, the more I think about it, the
more I realize geographical order has it's own set of problems.