Old February 11th 18, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RW[_2_]

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

On Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 2:13:25 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:

I would love automatic flaps in a new bird. I would alos like different manufacturing to allow for lighter empty weight, helps if you fly a sustainer.

What was the deal with the automatic flaps on the Duckhawk? Was that ever made to work at all?

Pls. no automatic flaps yet !
If we agree : older flappers being not to today's standards( flaps not very effective);
All new to flaps pilots want automatic flaps.I was one of them. But...
Flaps have to be set before I enter specific airmass(rising, still or falling).
Same like my speed to fly has to be set before I enter specific air mass.
Chasing is counter productive.I do not try to follow my Speed To Fly computer. I have to predict and set.Then I could tap myself on the shoulder watching my STF computer if 10 sec ago I was wright.What ever it says , its history, and I should not try to change it.So its useless.
So I bet and try to cash in.
If I loose, I learn for next change and adjust my predictions.
I loose very little if I go in bit too fast conig.
I never predict perfect and every , even slow conig change costs me energy loss.
So usual winners like KS , bet on sinking airmasses and plows constant high speed 75-85 in Duo( even if there was little lift in between) to predicted good air mass under far away Cu or blue gaggle.
I can get same fast and little higher by betting on little lift in between clouds, wisps, blue thermalers and have correct speed and flaps ready ahead..
In cruising : more config changes = more loses, so if I'm not sure, I'm better off using plowing little too fast config.East coast 92kts in Arcus,

If I win the bet with myself, I do same predictions in next airmass.
With speed to fly and flaps setting , I have to be always ahead with predictions.
So "fly by wire" like Nixus : YES, "automatic flaps" : NOT YET,only for newbies, till we have a system predicting airmass at least 0.3 mile ahead like LIDAR.
Ryszard