Old March 16th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
B4RT

Default fixed wing or rotary wing?

"Steve R" wrote in message
So does that mean if a student is training in something other than a
Robinson, then the numbers originally quoted are possible by regulation?

Yes, but it hardly really matters. The Robinson SFAR is not a practical
limitation because you're not likely to be a safe enough pilot to solo in
less time/training than the SFAR prescribes.

I've never heard that the R22 has any significant control issues when
compared to other makes and models that are likely to be used for primary
training other than they've got a relatively light rotor system which
makes collective management more critical than most if power is lost.
I've not heard much about the R44 in that regard. I've never flown either
one although I've ridden in a couple of R22's and they seemed to fly as
well as any helicopter I've been in.

The 22 and early 44's have very low rotor inertia. There were quite a few
accidents early on because of this. IMO the 22 totally unsuitable for flight
training especially when the CFI is a 200 hour pilot. Early 44's have a
similar issue, but the higher inertia later model 44's appear to be much
better. I've never flown in either model, so what do i know? I watched some
people doing "autos" in a 22 and resolved to never get in one.

It just seems strange, without knowing the specifics, that the FAA would
feel it necessary to issue a set of FAR's targeting one specific
manufacturer. That might explain why I've occasionally met individuals
that were outspokenly against flying in one.

Aside from its hideous looks I don't think fear of the latter model 44's is
really justified. The FAA probably saved Robinson from extiction by making
that SFAR tho. They might have been sued out of biz otherwise.

Regarding the time to transition, I think a former poster was wrong about 18
hours. Depending on how you interpret the FAR it could be as much as 30.
When I transitioned from rotorcraft to fixed, I flew about 30 hours over a 1
week interval to get all the stuff out of the way.

Sec. 61.109
(c) For a helicopter rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this
section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with
rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating must log at least 40 hours
of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an
authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of
operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b)(3) of this part, and the training must
include at least--
(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a helicopter;
(2) Except as provided in Sec. 61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight
training in a helicopter that includes--
(i) One cross-country flight of over 50 nautical miles total distance; and
(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving
a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.
(3) 3 hours of flight training in preparation for the practical test in a
helicopter, which must have been performed within 60 days preceding the date
of the test; and
(4) 10 hours of solo flight time in a helicopter, consisting of at least--
(i) 3 hours cross-country time;
(ii) One solo cross-country flight of at least 75 nautical miles total
distance, with landings at a minimum of three points, and one segment of the
flight being a straight-line distance of at least 25 nautical miles between
the takeoff and landing locations; and
(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing
involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating
control tower.