Old August 19th 04, 06:57 PM
Brian Sponcil

It's my understanding that if you're going to rent out your plane you need
to have commercial insurance which is VERY expensive - probably on the order
of $500-$800/month. I'm not sure if you'd need the 100 hour inspections but
if you did it'd be another big expense added on to the usual maintenance
which is already expensive.

Bottomline is that unless this thing was really hopping in rentals (which
defeats the purpose of owning anyway) you'll be worse off than just letting
the thing sit in the hanger. Perhaps you should consider a partner in
owning instead.

Just my $0.02.

-Brian
N33431
Iowa City, IA

"Isaac McDonald" wrote in message
I am thinking of buying an airplane....I want to rent it when it is not in
use to recoup some of the cost of buying the plane. How hard is it to do
this? What are the insurance costs? How often do I need to get it checked
out by an aviation mechanic? How much is the maintenece? Do I have to go
through an FBO? Or can I just place a classified ad....eg. "plane for
rent...$50 an hour".

Thanks in advance.

Isaac