Old April 30th 04, 03:53 PM
303pilot

"Bill Daniels" wrote in message
news:sofkc.273$ts3.24024@attbi_s02...

"303pilot" brentUNDERSCOREsullivanATbmcDOTcom wrote in message

snip

This still leaves the problem I think Andy was getting at of what is the
acceptable false positive:false negative ratio?
Too many false positives and pilots won't use it.
False negatives would lead to collisions, deaths and, at least in the

US,
lawsuits that would likely put the manufacturer out of business.

Brent

We can't ask for perfection or nothing will ever be available. It seems

me that there are two indications we should be looking for in a basic
anti-collision device.

I'm not one to make perfection the enemy of improvement....

1, There are (n) gliders in close proximity - say 1 kilometer. Even

simple
GPS broadcast devices should be able to determine the number of gliders
nearby. It should beep softly when the number changes. (If the device

says
there are 3 gliders nearby and you can only see 2, you need to keep
looking.)

I think stopping here would be a good trade-off between improvement and
perfection. Helping me identify that there's something I don't know that I
don't know is very valuable. While we're dreaming, how about the ability to
verbally acknowledge visual contact with 2 of the 3 ships and let the
computing & display power focus on helping us find the unseen ship?