Old April 6th 04, 04:51 PM
Peter R.

William W. Plummer ) wrote:

Aren't controllers supposed to tell you to turn off your altimeter
and go to VFR when an error that big is detected?

Mode C is not always mandatory when flying IFR, at least in the US's
Northeast.

Last spring, I was returning from the AOPA Fly-In when I discovered I had a
mode C problem with my altimeter. The weather leaving Frederick, Maryland
(US) that day was low IFR, a really crappy day for a fly-in.

Upon calling for my clearance, I mentioned to the CD controller that I
suspected my mode C would not be functional. He had me wait while he
contacted others (perhaps the center controllers?). A moment later he gave
me the clearance and stated that I would be responsible for calling out my
altitude throughout the flight.

I then departed and as I was told, the departure controller had me call in
with my altitude every few thousand feet while climbing. From that point
on, I would receive a periodic "Cessna XXX, verify level at 9,000 feet"
call. I was impressed with the service.

--
Peter