Old August 17th 06, 02:54 AM posted to us.military.army,us.military.national-guard,sci.military.naval,rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval

Default New Yorker's Sy Hersh: Bush Admin Helped Plan Israeli Offensive...

Fred J. McCall wrote:
Grey Satterfield wrote:

:On 8/14/06 10:21 PM, in article , "John P. Mullen"
wrote:
: tomcervo wrote:
: Fred J. McCall wrote:
: Lawson English wrote:
: Yes, and most of those 'old-school Republicans' are known as
: Democrats. Real Republicans want a big tent.
:
: They also want a balanced budget, a strong military and intelligent
: diplomacy. The bunch in now are acting like looters--run up unpayable
: debts here and abroad, and then retire to a gated community, and let
: the rabble stew. Now they seem to be saying that they'll let the NEXT
: administration decide to leave Iraq--they really seem to think it's up
: to the US to decide that.
:
: It's looking like the First Afghan War all over again, especially at
: the top.
:
: No to mention getting the damn feds out of state's business and fiscal
: responsibility (not just a balanced budget, but intelligent use of funds).
:
: We used to say the Democrats like to tax and spend. These birds just
: want to spend and spend.
:
:John and I can agree on this at least. Federal spending has been
:hemorrhaging during the Bush administration. My primary complaint with
:George W. Bush has been his unwillingness or inability to control federal
:spending. This isn't the Republicanism I thought I knew. That's why I
:think Bush's presidency is a failure and, I believe, why his approval
:numbers are so low.

Yes, but he does have a war on. That tends to wreck any budget. Too
large a percentage of the budget is non-discretionary spending.

The budget deficit is three times the size of the war budget.

Even then most of the war budget is being spent in Iraq, where
he chose to go to war despite Iraqi compliance with the inspection
and disarmament program.

--

FF