Old December 10th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
A Lieberma

Default Flight Following question

Newps wrote in
:

You're wrong. Do it as he says and I get a strip printed for me.
That is the exact procedure I use when I enter a flight plan into the
system for a pilot. There's no IFR/VFR box to check so the altitude
information is the only way the computer knows if you are IFR or
getting VFR flight following.

Please see the FAA flight plan form the pilot completes. See box 1. type.

It's either VFR ir IFR.

If I check IFR on 1.type of the FAA flight plan, I get a center control
number that is filed into the ATC system via DUATS.

I DO NOT get a center control number when I FILE VFR. I get a remark the
plan is forwarded to the servicing FSS.

Maybe FSS forwards something to you when I file through FSS, but when I
file via DUATS, it's a very distinct difference on the electronic response.

There may not be any IFR / VFR box on your end, but there sure is on the
pilot's end filing the plan.

I also notice that the website Flight Aware NEVER picks up my VFR flight
plan filings, where as when I file IFR, it shows scheduled one hour before,
so I know there is some meat to my theory in that VFR selection on the FAA
flight plan does not get passed on to the ATC system.

Allen