Old April 14th 04, 10:38 AM
Borislav Deianov

Rich Stowell wrote:
Borislav Deianov wrote in message ...

I have the same problem as Dave, except I'm flying a Citabria 7KCAB
(fixed pitch, 150hp). And it's only a problem when I fly solo. I can
do a reasonable snap roll with an instructor in the back.

[snip]

In your Citabria, establish level slow flight at 80 mph. Leave the
power as is for now (later you can try adding a bit more power, but
for now, work on the rudder/elevator timing).

Lead the snap roll with brisk rudder application followed by
sufficient aft elevator to stall (about a 2 G or so tug on the stick).
As soon as the airplane departs, release a touch of the aft elevator,
etc.

I tried this during my last session and I'm happy to report that it
worked very well! I was able to reliably snap it in both directions.
The roll rate was decent and accelerated a bit after releasing some
elevator input. Wow. I needed 1800 RPM to fly level at 80 mph.

The problem now is that the recovery after one turn leaves me in a
marked nose-down attitude. After a quick pull up to level flight, I
end up at about the same airspeed but 200' or so lower than the
starting altitude. Is there a way around that? More power and an
starting the maneuver more nose up, perhaps?

Thanks for you help!

Boris