Old February 29th 04, 09:51 PM
Guy Alcala

Thomas Schoene wrote:

Guy Alcala wrote:
Thomas Schoene wrote:

The C-295 is smaller, slower and less powerful,
but cheaper.

And also selected by the USCG.

Are you sure? I thought they'd selected the CN-235-300M.

Yes, you're right. But the 235 and 295 are fairy close relatives. (That's
my excuse anyway)

I believe the usual formulation is "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it"
;-) But you're essentially correct. From Flug Revue:

The C-295 is based on the CN-235, offering 50 per cent more loading
capacity to the same distances. CASA has used
computer design
programs to optimise the aircraft, and only
about 85 per cent of the
components of the CN-235 remain. Major changes
include:

lengthened fuselage with three new frames
in front and behind of
the wing
reinforced wing structure
three hardpoints under each wing
reinforced landing gear, with two wheels in
the nose
better pressurization system
glass cockpit and FMS. In February 1999,
CASA has choosen
the Topdeck avionics suite from Sextant
Avionique, including
radar, TCAS and GPWS